Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Gay as Le quatorzième juillet

So, I turn turn on the news yesterday (c-span) and what do I get in this pivitol election year? A gay marriage debate. On some levels I'm happy this topic is being discussed in our Senate, but as of right now I also find it very maddening. We are fighting two wars, one of which has gone disasterously wrong. We are the only industrialized nation that allows its children and elderly go without health care. We have an education system that is hanging precariously in the balance. Our president is trying to open up logging in what's left of our national forests, and we are STILL heavily dependent on foreign oil. However, the issue the Senate seems to find most pressing, one week before they recess, is my marriage.

Really folks, give it a rest! Are my wife and I really that scary? I wish some of those senators would come spend a day with us and then try to pinpoint exactly what part of my "lifestyle" they find so threatening. Maybe it's the part where I go to work at the YMCA or when I pay my taxes. Maybe it's when I continue to go to a university even after they hiked my tuition 14%. Perhps it's that I drag myself out of bed on Sunday morning to go to church. Breakdown of the American family? You've got to be kidding me! We are the American family, we pay the same bills, have the same worries, and want the same protections as any other couple out there.

I would really like the Republicans to take care of their own house and let me take care of mine. But since it doesn't look like that is going to happen, I'm going to kick back and watch them waste valuable time on an ammendent that has no chance of passing, then I'm going to go into my little voting booth in November and say G.W. Bush, "You're Fired!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Umm said...

In May this year, our Prime Minister - John Howard - introduced legislation to prevent same sex couples from marrying and adopting children from overseas. Unfortunately the ALP - Australian Labor Party (the major opposition party in this country) - is supporting the Government's ban on same-sex marriage. The Democrats in Australia opposed the legislation, and thankfully the ALP agreed to call a Senate Inquiry to fully examine its impact.

I'll be watching the parallel debate happening in the US with interest. While an ALP government in Australia has got to be better than John Howard, I'm still not sure they're going to do enough for GLBTI Australians if they get elected.

July 13, 2004 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Rachild said...

I had heard about that situation and remembered thinking that seemed strange. I've always thought that Austrilia was much more level headed about human rights issues. The US presidential candidates are currently locked in a "values" debate, which unfortunately give Bush an excuse not to have to talk about the really issues. It's sad really to think that Austrilia is in the same boat...hmmm Canada is look better every day.

July 13, 2004 at 6:13 PM  
Blogger Rachild said...

Nate you are welcome at our place anytime! Also if you are going to makeing any weekend trips to state near by swing through and pick up. We'd love to campaign for the Kerry Edwards ticket.

July 15, 2004 at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home